Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Starters (Starters #1) by Lissa Price

Synopsis:
HER WORLD IS CHANGED FOREVER

Callie lost her parents when the Spore Wars wiped out everyone between the ages of twenty and sixty. She and her little brother, Tyler, go on the run, living as squatters with their friend Michael and fighting off renegades who would kill them for a cookie. Callie's only hope is Prime Destinations, a disturbing place in Beverly Hills run by a mysterious figure known as the Old Man.

He hires teens to rent their bodies to Enders—seniors who want to be young again. Callie, desperate for the money that will keep her, Tyler, and Michael alive, agrees to be a donor. But the neurochip they place in Callie's head malfunctions and she wakes up in the life of her renter, living in her mansion, driving her cars, and going out with a senator's grandson. It feels almost like a fairy tale, until Callie discovers that her renter intends to do more than party—and that Prime Destinations' plans are more evil than Callie could ever have imagined. . . .

My Rating
-5/5-
Really good book! Like just wow Lissa Price made a wonderful book.
Lets start with some of the things I disliked though.
I feel like there is a love triangle, but also that there isn't because Callie doesn't really seem to notice Michael enough to make it that way. But she notices him enough to were it like she really is picking from just one guy. It was weird to say the least at some times I got the feeling of a love triangle at other times I didn't. The ending to the book doesn't really help you figure it out though just makes it more confusing. 
Maybe the second book will help clear that up.
Another thing I didn't seem to like all that much is it was hard to picture things, like its suppose to be just old and young people, but it wasn't mentioned enough or put in a way were it stuck in my mind. I had to constantly keep reminding myself what Callie's world was like. That there was only old people with silver hair and young kids and teens.
Also the last thing I say I disliked is, we only got to really know Callie. We got to know other characters a little but not really at all. Callie is the only character we truly got to know about. The other ones all seemed to be in a lie or just weren't mentioned more then a few times. Like for example Micheal, he is Callie's friend and taking care of her brother while she is gone. What more do we really know about him? Callie's dad though I felt like we got to know a lot more about him then Micheal. Even though we just got to know Callie's dad by memories she recalled. I just wish I could have got to know more of the characters better. 
And most everyone else was pretending to be someone else. So we couldn't really get to know anyone.
Now what I loved about this book.
The story it's self was amazing, where it went the plot it was just WOW. Lissa Price did an amazing job, kept me on my toes with all the twists and turns in the book. I never expected a lot of it. Maybe I was so busy focusing on who could Callie trust? I mean almost everyone was someone else or just something that made them un-trustworthy. The twists and turns though were really just unexpected and amazing in my mind though.
I loved Callie as a character, she is strong and smart. Just like anyone in her position should be! She also cares about her brother and what is happening to all the teens. Though Callie is also just a teenager, she isn't exactly special to all the other teens in this weird world she is pretty normal. Most kids know how to fight and hide and are strong so she isn't like some super chick in her surroundings. She even ends up dating a guy and falling for him. All that made Callie a realistic character I couldn't help but love.
Lastly the ending was amazing. It flipped so much upside down. It was a good ending I had no clue was coming which made it even better. Endings you never see coming are always the best.
Also the end of the book kind of explains everything that happens. Like it clears a lot of things up and helps you understand how everything happened. It made me think of how important timing is to everything. 
Anyways great book!! One of my favorites Lissa Price you did a great job! Can't wait to read Enders. 

1 comment: