Monday, September 23, 2013

Variant (Variant #1) by Robison Wells

Synopsis:
Benson Fisher thought that a scholarship to Maxfield Academy would be the ticket out of his dead-end life.

He was wrong.

Now he’s trapped in a school that’s surrounded by a razor-wire fence. A school where video cameras monitor his every move. Where there are no adults. Where the kids have split into groups in order to survive.

Where breaking the rules equals death.

But when Benson stumbles upon the school’s real secret, he realizes that playing by the rules could spell a fate worse than death, and that escape—his only real hope for survival—may be impossible


At one point I thought this would be a great book to read. Well let me just say it wasn't it was pretty bad. I mean it was okay but where was it trying to go? Nothing added up and I get that it wasn't suppose to but could they have made sense of anything?!?! It felt like the author didn't know what to do so he just made up anything. I mean maybe it was suppose to be like that, but a little explanation to one or two things would have made it easier to get threw this book. Make it feel less like a bunch of stuff just thrown together.
Also Benson was really boring. Some times I had to remember he was telling the story and not someone doing it from third person. He was really flat and I don't know there didn't seem to really be any conflicted for him with himself. He gets to this place then wants to go and that's pretty much it all he talks about is going going going going. That's all that seemed to be up with him. I was really sad with all the characters honestly I don't feel like we got to know any of them, which is something I would have really liked. 
It wasn't what I expected at all and I was really disappointed with this book.
Maybe the other books get better who knows, I really hope so but I may not decide to continue on with the rest unless I hear something at least half way promising on they get better

No comments:

Post a Comment