Saturday, September 28, 2013

The Line (The Line #1) by Teri Hall

Synopsis:
An invisible, uncrossable physical barrier encloses the United States. The Line is the part of the border that lopped off part of the country, dooming the inhabitants to an unknown fate when the enemy used a banned weapon. It's said that bizarre creatures and superhumans live on the other side, in Away. Nobody except tough old Ms. Moore would ever live next to the Line.

Nobody but Rachel and her mother, who went to live there after Rachel's dad died in the last war. It's a safe, quiet life. Until Rachel finds a mysterious recorded message that can only have come from Away. The voice is asking for help.

Who sent the message? Why is her mother so protective? And to what lengths is Rachel willing to go in order to do what she thinks is right?
First look at the summery. Did that? Done? Okay now lets begin sounds like a pretty good summery right? That is what I thought and the reason I wanted to read it in the first place. Well honestly though it isn't much like the synopsis. I mean a little bit, yes but for the most part no. Most of the book doesn't even mention the Line or the tape recorder. Most of the first half of the book really seems to have nothing to do with anything.
I was really disappointed in a lot so lets make a list.
1. The book compared to the synopsis.  The synopsis piece is such a short part in the book it should have been a different synopsis or some things should have been left out of the book.
2. Unnecessary details. Most of this book was just unnecessary unless they were going to be important for the next book which brings me to another point.
3. Short. The book is about 219 pages but with all it's unneeded details it went nowhere it seems and feel really short. Maybe a longer book? Or just combining the next book in? Something!
4. Characters. Really under developed. I got to learn like nothing about any character really. Which made the story drag on and not make it easy to understand.
5. Was Teri Hall trying to follow one character at a time? It seems like it but also when more then one character was together it was just a mix up. I felt like she would follow one character for a minute then change and try another one which just did not work at all!
6. The back round story.  Okay back round stories to why things happened are usually nice and sometimes give you more understanding. This back round story was horrible in all way. How it come about and talked about was kind of boring for the story. It also just made things way more confusing then they were. I feel like it could have been done a lot better and that less detail should have been made about it.
7. The ending. So the ending threw out the book was hinted at. Well I shouldn't say hinted at it was almost told to you that the possibility could happen. So when the ending did come it was like *yawn* yeah I knew that would be in there. Some people might call it a cliff hanger but it was honestly to boring to be that for me.
8. I feel like the story is suppose to follow Rachel, like third point of view follow her and have a few other characters thrown in there. I think this cause the next book is Away so it makes sense that it would follow her but then I feel like it didn't it was poorly done.
Over all I just did not like this book. I mean I feel like it could have been a good idea, but it wasn't for so many reasons.
I only gave this book one out of five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment